Sunday, July 20, 2008

This is from drummer David Hurlin's blog "Dynamics of the Drum-- I loved it so much I figured I'd share it here, too:

**

Playing with the Evangenitals at the Nocturnal Bar in Santa Monica during our Klezmer remix of the infamous song "THE HOLE" which I absolutely love, I was hitting the drums hard. Juli Crockett was belting out her chant "Hole Hole Hole Hole" on the quarter notes and i was smashing my cymbal in accordance with her ferocious chanting. It was a pure stretch of symbiotic rapture, the whole band writhing in a collective exorcism.

In spite of how loud or violent with Joy it got I remained relaxed. I realized that by keeping pure relaxation, the kind of relaxation you feel when you're not playing, by holding that as the foundation of the drumming, then you can explore volume and its various pleasures both quiet and loud to a point.

(Read more at: http://pianissississississimo.blogspot.com/

No comments: